In that section he makes two other points I appreciated. Firstly, his point about carbon dating and how science is not trying to attack religion about its new earth ideas it is saying that no matter where those ideas come from they do not stand up to empirical evidence. And that wrong ideas sometimes have good uses. I was really interested in what he said about the surface of lakes (the meniscus?) and the curvature of the earth. They were just really interesting points to think about.
In the second transition section I could see the benefit of discussing hypothesis testing and paradigm choice and mixing and how that applies to things we have previously learned in science classes and the information we are learning now.
As I said before, I think this article would be interesting to read at the beginning of the semester it would sort of justify Nancy and your approach to the course and why you do some of the things you do. You could also refer to some of the parts throughout the course as they apply to what you are teaching. You could probably get away with just assigning the first part of the article but it's really not that hard nor long of a read so it wouldn't be too much of an issue to assign the whole thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment